Independent Advisor Institute
Are you looking for the next step in your career journey? If you’re seeking a position with high growth potential, in a field that can directly impact the lives of others, become an independent financial advisor with the help of LPL Financial’s Independent Advisor Institute (IAI) and our network of established financial professionals.
Join LPL’s Independent Advisor Institute program and receive foundational training to become an independent financial advisor.
What’s your next step?
If you’re looking for a high-growth career in a fast-paced, evolving field, a career in financial advice may be right for you. As an advisor, you’ll form strong relationships, serve as a community leader, and help others make their financial dreams a reality.
The LPL Independent Advisor Institute (IAI) offers a path to begin this fulfilling career.
How It Works
The program will pair you with a successful, established LPL financial advisor in your community who will help prepare you for a productive future. You’ll spend the first year serving as an employee of LPL Financial—the nation’s largest independent broker/dealer*—and as a member of your managing advisor’s local practice.
There, you’ll receive a unique blend of valuable on-the-job training and distance learning to help you develop the skills needed for success and lay the groundwork for long-term growth.
In addition to your managing advisor, you’ll have access to a wide variety of leading professionals within the industry and LPL ecosystem, such as:
- Experienced financial advisors who are part of the nation’s largest independent advisor network
- Product experts
- Marketing, sales, and practice optimization coaches
- LPL leaders
All these individuals will support you as you complete the IAI curriculum, obtain your Series 7 and 66 licenses, and become an established advisor. Along with the coursework, you’ll attend conferences and learning sessions at LPL’s Home Office with other new-to-the-industry advisors, just like you. Throughout the program, you’ll build industry acumen and hone the skills to help you connect with clients and build long-term relationships.
At the end of the year, you’ll officially join your managing advisor’s practice as you continue to develop and grow a broader set of client relationships. As alumni of the Independent Advisor Institute, you’ll continue to have access to leading support from LPL to provide independent financial advice.
What You Offer
- A passion for helping others determine and pursue their financial goals
- One to three years of applicable professional experience and/or experience working in a professional sales or entrepreneurial setting
- High attention to detail and a desire to deliver superior client service
- A confident and engaging presence, high emotional intelligence, and willingness to listen
- Enthusiastic about building relationships and influencing a network of potential clients
- Motivation to complete training and obtain Series 7 and 66 licenses within the first six months of employment
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and software programs
- Ability to learn and accept standard operating procedures and compliance regulations
- Open to constructive feedback, and the ability to apply feedback every day
- Personal finances in good standing
- Clean criminal record
- Bachelor’s degree
What You’ll Receive
- A comprehensive, holistic path to a career as a financial advisor
- Competitive compensation, including benefits and the opportunity to earn additional performance incentives
- Guidance and experience working alongside a tenured financial advisor
- One-on-one consultation and coaching
- Opportunities to interact with clients and learn the process of building a business
- Rigorous training and support during your preparation for the licensing exams, as well as additional learning modules that build a strong foundational knowledge of the industry
- Nationwide network of program participants and opportunities for program-wide discussion and study groups
- A dedicated service line and access to LPL staff
- The knowledge that you’re helping clients turn their financial and life goals into reality
If this sounds like the right fit for you, view our open Independent Advisor Institute positions today.
Forge a New Path
What does it mean to be a financial advisor? How will I build my network? When can I take on clients? Find answers to these questions and more with our FAQs.
*Based on total revenues, Financial Planning magazine, 1996 – 2017
The IAI Program
Find more detailed information about the program’s timeline, curriculum, and benefits by downloading this brochure.
If you have the people skills, sales experience, and drive needed to start a career in this high-potential field, browse available opportunities in your area.